Daily Jambo

'Let's seek to heal,' Obama says as Ferguson braces for another night

Published: 18.08.2014
Reading time: 34 minutes


Ferguson, Missouri:
The Ferguson, Missouri, police officer who killed Michael Brown says the teenager rushed at him full speed in the moments before the shooting, according to an account phoned in to a radio station and confirmed by a source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the St. Louis County prosecuting attorney said Monday that evidence in the shooting
death could be presented to a grand jury as early as Wednesday.

According to the account on St. Louis radio station KFTK, phoned in by a woman who identified herself
as "Josie," the altercation on August 9 began after Officer Darren Wilson rolled down his window to
tell Brown and a friend to stop walking in the street.

When Wilson tried to get out of his cruiser, Brown first tried to push the officer back into the car, then
punched him in the face and grabbed for his gun before breaking free after the gun went off once, the caller said. 
CNN reporter ordered to move by police  
Atty.: He surrendered before 'kill shot'  
Pathologist: Brown could've felt pain  
Stunning images of unrest in Ferguson Wilson pursued Brown and his friend, ordering them to freeze, according to the account. When they turned around, Brown began taunting Wilson, saying he would not arrest them, then ran at the officer at full speed, the caller said.

Wilson then began shooting. The final shot was to Brown's forehead, and the teenager fell two or three feet in
front of Wilson, said the caller, who identified herself as the officer's friend.

 A source with detailed knowledge of the investigation later told CNN the caller's account is "accurate," in that
it matches what Wilson has told investigators.

If true, the account represents the first telling of events from the perspective of Wilson, whose shooting of Brown has touched off violent nightly protests in the suburban St. Louis city, and prompted Gov. Jay Nixon to call out the National Guard.

Demonstrations resumed in Ferguson on Monday evening. Protesters were told they were allowed to walk, not stand, in protest. A number of arrests have already occurred, including that of news photographer Scott Olson.

Parallel investigations

A grand jury will hear testimony from witnesses and decide on whether to return an indictment in the case, Ed McGee, spokesman for the St. Louis County prosecuting attorney, said Monday, stressing there is "no time line on this case."

In addition to that proceeding, the Justice Department has opened a civil rights investigation into Brown's death. Attorney General Eric Holder will travel to Ferguson this week, to meet with investigators there.

"I realize there is tremendous interest in the facts of the incident that led to Michael Brown's death, but I ask for the public's patience as we conduct this investigation," the attorney general said in a statement.

"The selective release of sensitive information that we have seen in this case so far is troubling to me.
No matter how others pursue their own separate inquiries, the Justice Department is resolved to preserve the integrity of its investigation."

 'Nation of laws'

Speaking to reporters Monday,
President Barack Obama called for calm in Ferguson, saying that violence
undermines, rather than advances justice.

Gunfire, tear gas and Molotov cocktails Sunday night marked some of the fiercest clashes yet between police and protesters furious about the death of the unarmed teenager.

"We have all seen images of protesters and law enforcement in the streets. It's clear that the vast majority of people are peacefully protesting. What's also clear is that a small minority is not," said Obama, stressing he must "be careful"about not prejudging events.

"Let's see some understanding" rather than confrontation, and "let's seek to heal," he added..  
"There's no excuse for excessive force by police or any action that denies people the right to protest peacefully. Ours is a nation of laws -- for the citizens who live under them and for the citizens who enforce them," Obama said.

Autopsy findings

An autopsy conducted for the family of Brown found no evidence that he struggled with Wilson before his death, according to the pathologist in charge of the examination.

Dr. Michael Baden conducted the autopsy after an official examination by the St. Louis County medical examiner's office.

Forensics consultant Shawn Parcells, who assisted Baden, said the findings are consistent with witness
reports that Brown may have been shot as he walked away and that he was shot
again with his hands up.

The family autopsy found that Brown was shot at least six times, including two shots to his head. Three of the
bullets may have re-entered his body, causing additional damage, Baden said.

One of the bullets entered his head and came out through his eye; another -- likely the fatal wound, Baden said
-- struck Brown on the top of his head and caused irreparable damage to his brain.

Family attorney Benjamin Crump said Brown probably would have been either kneeling or bending forward when he
was struck with those bullets.

Brown had abrasions on his face consistent with falling onto the ground, Baden said.

He cautioned that he needs access to autopsy results, including tests on Brown's clothes and X-rays, before
making some conclusions.
But Crump said the autopsy already offered more than "ample" evidence to support Wilson's arrest.

"What does this autopsy say?
That the witness accounts were true, that he was shot multiple times," Crump told reporters.

Attorney General Holder said a third autopsy was being conducted Monday by medical examiners from the U.S. military.

Michael Brown death: Autopsy unlikely to settle dueling narratives

Devolution of protests

 Another family attorney, Anthony
Gray, implored protesters to remain peaceful.

 "I can see that there is a very
disturbing divide that is developing in our community," he said Monday. "This is
not what we initially came to the community and called for."

As he spoke, the Missouri
National Guard was preparing to deploy to Ferguson under orders from the 
governor to restore peace. Nixon issued the order early

Monday after what began as peaceful protests spiraled into disarray after two
civilians were shot and injured, Missouri State Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson said.
He said those civilians were not shot by police.

Some protesters hurled Molotov cocktails at
police, and several businesses were vandalized or looted despite
the Brown family's call for calm.

 "Based on these conditions, I had no
alternative but to elevate the level of our response," Johnson said.

 Officers fired tear gas into hundreds of protesters,
including children, who were marching toward a police
command post despite an impending midnight curfew.

Two children were treated and 
released for exposure to tear gas overnight at St. Louis Children's Hospital,
according to a spokeswoman there.

Protester Lisha Williams
challenged the notion that protesters provoked officers.

"That is a lie. It was no fight, it was no
shots fired," she told CNN late Sunday. "All we did was march to the

command center to fall to our knees and say, 'Don't shoot.' And they started shooting."

Dueling narratives

Accounts of exactly what happened
when Wilson stopped Brown while the teen was walking down a street vary widely.

Witnesses said they saw a scuffle between the
officer and Brown at the police car before the young man wasshot.

Several witnesses said Brown
raised his hands and was not attacking the officer.

Piaget Crenshaw said she was 
sitting in her home when she witnessed the shooting. She captured video of the 
aftermath, including images of Brown's body lying in the middle of the street.

Crenshaw said Brown was running
away from police and then
turned around. She said that was when Brown was shot.

But police gave a different
narrative, saying Brown struggled with the officer and reached for his weapon.

The officer has stayed out of
the public spotlight, and more than 22,000 people have endorsed the "I Support Officer

Wilson" Facebook page. 5 things to know about Michael Brown's shooting
Complete coverage of the Ferguson shooting

Source: CNN

Related Post
No comments yet, but you could be the first!
Please enter your last name and first name
No spam, we promise
Message text
By submitting this form, you agree to the political confidentiality and rules of our site.